Friday, May 25, 2007

Bangs and Sirens

Last night I was nicely sleeping, when I was awoken by loud sirens and Tom jumping out of bed. I asked him what that was. He said he heard some bangs, like firecrackers or gun shots...a few in a row. Then he says, I'm gonna go see what it is.

So, like I can go back to sleep. I get out of bed, my heart pounding. Tom is downstairs with the front door open, standing outside (in his underwear). The neighbours inside light comes on. There are lights flashing all through the swamp area just at the end of our property. We hear a few more bangs. Now I ask Tom to maybe come inside and watch from the window. It might be safer???

We watch out the livingroom window for awhile (also making sure all the doors and windows are locked). Tom gets out the binoculars to see if he can see things better. There is a firetruck and a few police cars. There is also quite a bit of smoke. Tom wonders if some teenagers were driving around throwing fireworks out their windows.

Things seem to be calming down, so I go to bed and watch TV for awhile. Tom comes up in a few minutes, looking out all the windows as he does. I turn the TV off and try to sleep as I try to image what is happening down there. 1:00 appears on my clock. I kinda drift off to sleep. 2:00 appears on my clock. Tom gets up to look out the window. I kinda drift off to sleep. 3:00 appears on my clock and now Faith is crying. Tom heats her bottle (apparently he's not sleeping good either). I feed her a bottle. Tom looks out the windows to see what's happening. All the lights are finished flashing. Everything must be taken care of. Morning is just a few short hours away.

6:10 Haden and Garrett are up and asking to go downstairs. Sure, I tell them.
Tom gets up for work. I drift off to sleep until 6:30.

After Tom leaves for work, I call him on his cell and ask if he could see anything as he drove down the road. He says it looks like someone burned a car. All that's left is a carborator (or some piece of a car) and a large rectangular burned area. We figure, someone probably stole a car and torched it....maybe. I guess we'll never know.

4 comments:

mearybeary said...

Jeepers I wouldn't have slept very good either. I'm thinking you guys should move...move closer to here ;) It's safer :) Glad that no one was hurt

Unknown said...

wow you can't say the farm life is boring can you? Keep the stories coming Brenda, you are a good writer,

Cindy B said...

What a night - was there anything on your local news today?

Anonymous said...

You should write a book!!! WOW never a dull moment hey Bren!!!